Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thoughts on the Third World


After looking over the pics on our blog you guys must think we're cruising through paradise. We haven't really shown the nitty gritty side of Guatemala, so here are some of my thoughts on the Third World.

I have trouble with the phrase "I'm proud to be an American" because I'm not always proud of our country's values or actions, but I will say "I am very lucky to be an American." This is my first time in a third world country, aside from a few trips to a Mexican resort when I was a kid. Guatemala is a gorgeous country, rivaling in natural beauty and tropical splendor anything Hawaii or the Caymen Islands have to offer, but lets just say I was in for a bit of a shock.

After my first cold shower I had to come to terms with a number of first world conveniences I had taken for granted. Even armed with my light saber (the nickname we've given to our Steripen water purifying device) I still suffered from intestinal disorders and a bad bout of food poisoning, which had me on the floor or a communal bathroom clinging to a toilet that didn't flush. A harrowing ride on the local "chicken bus" where the driver whipped around harpin turns at 70mph and passed tiny tuk-tuks on blind curves had me clinging to Patrick for dear life. Everyone here seems to be carrying either a shotgun or a machete or both. And everyone is looking at us: because we are white, because we are a foot taller than them, because, even in our rattiest and smelliest clothes, the gear we are wearing on our backs is more than most people's entire net worth.

It is all sobering and sickening and fascinating at the same time. More than anytime in my life I realize how blessed I am to be an American - to have opportunity - to have US dollars in the bank. My rock bottom standard of living is an unattainable dream for many Guatemalans. But its also made me think - since I have 10 times as much I should be 10 times as happy - right?

This is my little friend Elda. She is 10. I asked her to show me where the bathroom was and she gave me a huge hug and wouldn't let go of my hand for the rest of the day. She took me to her house -a 4 room cinderblock with dirt floors. She proudly showed me the room she shared with her 3 siblings and her scruffy pet rabbit Blanca. When I asked how many siblings she had she said 2 sisters living, one dead and one brother. Very matter of fact, its just the way things are here. Elda's family is rich by Guatemalan standards. Her mother runs a tortilla business where she makes 2 Quetzales (about 24 cents) for 10 handmade tortillas. Her father owns a "lancha", a local water taxi (we paid $3 for a 30 min ride). This family is so happy. They were so happy to have us hang out in their tortilla hut. They bought us coke and stuffed us with all the tortillas we could eat. The whole family joined us on the lancha ride to our hotel. Each of them probably owns about 5 things. I have a 10 x 10 storage unit packed with junk waiting for me. I gave Elda my lip gloss and it was like I had given her the moon.

Pat and I just sent half the contents of our backpacks home with Jeremy and Rachel when we sadly had to part ways. We are going to take a clue from our Guatemalan friends, strip down to the essentials and concentrate on what really matters - being with someone we love.

~Amalia~

6 comments:

  1. Amalia,

    Very well said..this post is the very thing that will resonate with almost anyone who has traveled or lived abroad, especially in the less privileged regions of our world. The paradise that we seek to experience is often down the longest, and perhaps bumpiest of roads- there are exceptions, but very few come to mind!

    I can easily say that from the comfort of my office here in the mountains of Colorado, my deepest discomfort comes from not still being there with you both in the midst of of Central America, for all its hardships and rugged beauty...!

    Tip back a cold Gallo and find a shady hammock for me!

    All the best in adventures ahead- Love Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was more to this trip than beautiful tourism and delicious looking food. I'm sure you will never be the same after this time away. It is so easy to look at big fancy homes, filled with all the fancy stuff and become discontent. After reading this I am reminded that I live in a mansion compared to most of the world. Suddenly, the walls that need paint, screens needing repair, carpets crying out for a cleaning become beautiful.

    Thank you for sharing real life and reminding the rest of us what is truly important.

    Love you two. Praying for your adventure and safety.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amalia and Pat - I absolutely love what you guys are doing! I remember having the same realizations about the developing world the first time I experienced it (also in Guatemala!) - it will change your lives. Yay! Wait 'til you see India!!! love, Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traveling Dobbins,
    Thinking of you guys and your journey often brings me to tears and now amidst the hustle of the heathrow aiport, thoughts of happiness in a tortilla home also brings me to tears. what is it with all of our stupid stuff that literally puts up barriers to keep us unhappy!?
    I've had some similar realizations here, though in a polar opposite country, the "old" country. I've walked the streets, surrounded by the highest end of fashion, the root of this world's theater culture, and kneeled in St. Paul's Cathedral, st. james cathedral, st. Patrick's cathedral, St. Giles-of-the-field cathe....you get the picture and, I don't care. Because in America, it's hard to describe, you SMELL the freedom you have the possibility. You don't realize, but it's not like that everywhere! Also I don't care, because it's not seeing the sights it's about the shared experience of witnessing something fantastic with another. Brings to mind some favorite words molz "i don't want staircases or marble halls, i just want you..."
    Anne's figured prominently in my thoughts recently.
    much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful reminder, Amalia. Less stuff, more love!

    Wishing you more beauty, wisdom, and all good things for the rest of your journey. Hugs and kisses, from us!

    Angela & Robert

    ReplyDelete